Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A different approach to the summer course

I have been teaching public relations since 2006 and have worked in public relations since 2003 (my personal website). And last week, I won this award. So lets say I am an "old head" at this PR thing.

However, this is the first time I have taught in the summer and I thought we should do things differently.

Summer is more fun because the time spent time in class is less (only 6 weeks) and we can be more creative with a class because the weather is nice so less grouchiness (from students and instructors).

As part of learning how to plan, implement, and execute public relations campaigns, we will be designing campaigns for 4 real clients. Not fake ones. Real ones.

After emails and conference calls, I have managed to convince 4 fascinating companies to allow us to design campaigns for their firms.

In the course, we will conduct research on the challenges they face, craft campaigns to address them, and at the end of the semester they will give us input of what they think.

I think this should be a fun way to learn about public relations in the classroom while also getting a chance to interact with people in the "real" world.

No comments:

Post a Comment